Wave and WCF

Oct 13, 2009 at 10:55 PM

At my previous company I develop an application which needed to handle real time data. It was based on polling and I start making discussions about making use of XMPP for real time communication. Wave is based on XMPP so I am glad to see that Google believes in the power of XMPP. 

Because I am a .Net developer I really like to have an Wave implementation. Or at a more low level first an XMPP library. I know that libraries as agsXmpp exitsts but I am wondering, and this is related to Windows Communication Foundation technology which can be used within .Net, if a WCF implementation of XMPP would make sense. First of all to found out if it is possible and see if it can be usefull as a plugin in model for the different XMPP extensions.

Like to hear your ideas about using WCF. 

Developer
Oct 14, 2009 at 11:32 PM

Using WCF is certainly possible and in fact has been done http://www.nsoftware.com/wcf/channels/jabber.aspx. Using WCF will have its advantages, as we could build a basic XMPP Server/Client, and then add on the extensions as they come around using the extensibility in WCF, rather than creating our own

Also using WCF might limit portability to Mono (as it doesn’t have full compatibility with .Net 3.5 Sp1) but i don’t know if that is of importance to this project.